September 30, 2010

No time like the present.

Before I start on my music related post ( which is short and unorganized), I just want to thank Dave for inviting me into this little blogosphere. I hope Argentina is treating you well, and I am indeed going to thrash you in fantasy hockey this year.

Onto the music.

A little background - I don't like to call myself a musician, but I do like to think that I take music (especially the electric bass guitar) more seriously than the average guy who says "Yeah, I slappa da bass". I reserve the word 'musician' for those that are not only technically skilled, but also knowledgeable in music theory. Along those lines, I don't believe too strongly in the idea of "talent", really. Skill is born primarily out of the amount of deliberate practice you put into your work. That is the sheer number of hours you are challenging yourself, and effectively learning. I like to think that I practice deliberately. But saying "I'm a musician" should have broad implications in practicing, reading sheet music, theory prowess, improvisation, exploration of genres, and becoming one with your instrument. Saying "I'm a bassist" also has broad implications in the different ways to commemorate, respect, and praise Jaco Pastorius.

I definitely can't read sheet music anymore. I used to be great at it. I know I've changed instruments from the xylophone in 1995, but its impossible now. I know more Latin. If anything has helped at all, (if there's any aspiring bassists out there wondering how to start learning to read sheet music, this may be helpful) it would be going over the most famous, first section of the Bach Cello Suites on the 4 string bass. Its incredibly tiring, but just about every note in the entire two minute piece is an eighth note. This is perfect to help you learn the notes if you look at the tab alongside. Its also great exposure to basic major and minor scales. Learning it in its entirety an incredibly tall order, but broken up and slowed down, its a helpful learning tool.

Thanks for taking the time out to read me. I have a lot of thoughts, especially about music, and its often difficult for me to really convey them. Like if you try to shove six people, or two fat dudes through a door at the same time, no one gets out.

That's my brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment