August 29, 2010

Jazz in Buenos Aires: Thelonious Club

Levas Cruzadas I recently moved to Buenos Aires, and one of my objectives while here is to investigate the jazz scene (needless to say, I'm interested in immersing myself in the city's music scene as a whole). At a 12:30 a.m. show a couple Saturdays back, I got my first taste. The venue was Thelonious Club, one of the more renowned jazz clubs in Buenos Aires, in Palermo. It was the late-night crowd, people who were clearly there because they were down to see some good jazz. And the band kicked ass: Levas Cruzadas, a 9-piece brass band: two trumpets, two trombones, three saxes, a tuba player playing the bass parts, and a drummer. Their sound was based in New Orleans jazz, but they also had a Balkan music side, as well as an experimental side, and a South American attitude. The drummer was laying down some excellent jazzed-out march beats. And Thelonious was a good venue for it; the seating was a bit limited, but it's a really nice space for jazz. Part one of the jazz search was a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment